1. Background of Agreement
(a) At the bottom of this Agreement is a box corresponding to the statement “I Agree”. Checking that box signifies that you accept this Agreement either for yourself or your employer or the entity that is identified as the member account holder, and agree to be bound by its provisions. If you are accepting on behalf of your employer or the entity that is the member account holder, you represent and warrant that you have full legal authority to bind your employer or such other entity to this Agreement. If you do not have such authority or you do not accept or agree with these terms, do not accept the Agreement and do not use or download the Content.
(b) In this Agreement: (i) “you” or the “Client” means you or, if you are accepting on behalf of your employer or member account entity, then “you” means that employer or entity and affiliates; (ii) “VIVIstock” or “we” means VIVIstock, operator of the Site; and (iii) “Content” means any photographic image, illustration, animation, Flash file, film or video footage, visual representation generated optically, electronically, digitally or by any other means or in any media or other material that you are downloading from the Site, together with any accompanying material.
2. Standard License Terms
As a client, you are granted a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to use the Content that is within the parameters of Permitted Uses terms defined below. Anything outside the Permitted Use restriction is not allowed. All other rights in and to the Content, including but not limited to all copyright and other intellectual property rights relating to the Content, are retained by VIVIstock or the supplier of the Content, as the case may be.
3. Permitted Standard License Uses
(a) You are only allowed to use the Content for those advertising, promotional and other specified purposes laid out under Permitted Uses below. You are not allowed to use the Content in products for resale, license or other distribution, except in the following cases (i) the proposed use is allowable with a written permission from the creator/photographer; or (ii) if the original Content has been materially modified or transformed sufficiently that it constitutes an original work entitling the author or artist to copyright protection under applicable law, and where the primary value of such transformed or derivative work is not identifiable as the Content nor is the Content capable of being downloaded, extracted or accessed by a third party as a stand-alone file (satisfaction of these conditions will constitute the work as a “Permitted Derivative Work” for the purposes of this Agreement). For example, a Content may not be superficially altered and then printed on materials such as a poster, t-shirt, mug, template or other item, and sell it to others for consumption, reproduction or re-sale. Such uses will not be permitted as or constitute Permitted Derivative Works. Any work outside the Permitted Uses and Permitted Derivative Works restrictions shall constitute an infringement of copyright. If you are unsure if a work is a Permitted Derivative Work or not, you should either obtain an Extended License or contact VIVIstock’s Client Relations for guidance.
(b) Seat Restrictions. Transferring and installing of files shall be governed by the following terms.
Permit to use the Content is granted only to you. Transferring of files containing Content or Permitted Derivative Works to your clients, printers, or ISP for the purpose of reproduction for Permitted Uses is allowed only under the condition that such parties shall have no further or additional rights to use the Content and cannot access or extract it from any file you provide. You may install and use the Content in only one location at a time, although subject to the Prohibited Uses and the other terms of this Agreement, you are entitled to utilize the Permitted Uses an unlimited number of times. You may physically transfer the Content and its archives from one location to another, in which case you may use the Content at the new location instead. If you need the Content to be in more than one location or accessible by more than one person, you are required to download the Content from the Site each time of use. You may make one (1) copy of the Content only for back-up purposes, and you must reproduce all proprietary notices on this single back-up copy.
(c) Permitted Uses. The following are the allowed uses of Content subject to the restrictions described under Prohibited Uses further below:
- advertising and promotional projects, including printed materials, product packaging, banners, posters, billboards, catalogues, newsletters, brochures, flyers, manuals, film and video presentations, commercials, promotional materials such as calendars, greeting cards and postcards (ie. not for resale or license);
- entertainment applications, such as books and book covers, magazines, newspapers, editorials, and video, broadcast and theatrical presentations;
- business and corporate communication publications such as annual reports, corporate newsletters
- online or electronic publications;
- printed form/hard copies and other reproductions for personal use or promotional purposes specified in (1) above, but not for resale, license or other distribution; and
- any other uses approved in writing by VIVIstock.
If there is any doubt that a proposed use is a Permitted Use, you should contact VIVIstock’s Client Relations for guidance.
4. Standard License Prohibitions
(a) Prohibited Uses. You may not do anything with the Content that is not expressly stated in the preceding Permitted Use section or is not permitted by an Extended License. For greater certainty, the following are “Prohibited Uses” restricting you from doing any of the following:
- use the Content in design template applications intended for resale, whether online or not, including but not limited to templates for websites, Flash, business card, electronic direct mailer, electronic greeting card, brochure design, etc;
- use or exhibit the Content on websites or other venues inducing or involving the sale, license or other distribution of “on demand” commercial products such as postcards, stickers, stationery, mugs, t-shirts, posters and other items (including custom designed websites or similar online businesses);
- use the Content in any posters (printed on any media such as paper, canvas) or other items for resale, license or other distribution for profit;
- use any of the Content as part of a logo, trademark, design mark, trade name, business name, service mark, or campaign mark
- incorporate the Content in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the Content (such as electronic greeting card web sites, web templates and the like) or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the Content as an electronic file;
- use the Content in a manner that is considered by VIVIstock (acting reasonably) as or under applicable law is deemed as pornographic, obscene, immoral, infringing, offensive, or libelous in nature, or that would reasonably likely or certainly put any person or property reflected in the Content in disrepute;
- use or exhibit any Content that features a model or person in a manner (a) that would lead a reasonable person to think that such person is a user or endorser of any business, product, service, cause, association or other undertaking; except where there is a statement next to it that visibly states that the Content is for illustration purposes only and any person depicted in the Content is only acting as a model, (b) that depicts such person in a potentially sensitive subject matter, including, but not limited to mental and physical health issues, social issues, political issues, sexual or implied sexual activity or preferences, substance or alcohol abuse, crime, physical or mental abuse or ailments, or any other subject matter that would be reasonably likely to be offensive or unflattering to any person reflected in the Content, unless the Content itself clearly and undisputedly renders the model or person in such potentially sensitive subject matter in a manner that portrays the model or person in the same context, degree, or circumstance depicted in the Content itself;
- to the extent that source code is contained within the Content, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any part of such source code;
- remove any notice of copyright, trade-mark or other proprietary right from any place where it is on or embedded in the Content;
- sub-license, re-sell, rent, lend, assign, gift or otherwise transfer or distribute the Content or the rights granted under this Agreement;
- install and use the Content in more than one location at a time or post a copy of the Content on a network server or web server for use by other users;
- use or display the Content in an electronic format that allows it to be downloaded or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any manner of file sharing arrangement;
- use Content identified as “Editorial Use Only”, for any commercial, promotional, endorsement, advertising or merchandising use. For clarification, in this Agreement “Editorial Use Only” of Content means use relating to events that are newsworthy or of general interest and expressly excludes any advertorial sections (i.e. sections or supplements featuring brand and/or product names or sections or supplements by which you receive a fee from a third-party advertiser or sponsor);
- use the Content for editorial purposes without visibly including the following credit line adjacent to the Content or in audio/visual production credits: “©VIVIstock.com/Artist’s Member Name];
- either individually or in combination with others, reproduce the Content, or an element of the Content, in excess of 500,000 times without duly obtaining an Extended License, in which event you shall be required to pay an additional royalty fee equal to US $0.01 for each reproduction which is in excess of 500,000 reproductions. This additional royalty does not apply to advertisements in websites or to broadcast by television, web-cast or theatrical production; or
- If the Content is reproduced on a social media platform or other third party website, (i) the rights granted herein shall automatically be revoked in the event that the platform website seeks to exploit purported rights to the Content contrary to the terms of this Agreement, and (ii) in such event, upon VIVIstock’s request, you shall remove any Content from such platform or website.
5. Excess Reproduction Run
In the event you be in breach of subparagraph 4(a)(xv) above, you further agree to notify VIVIstock in case you (or a combination of you and others involved with you) reproduce the Content, or an element of the Content in excess of 500,000 times. Such disclosure notice must be sent to VIVIstock each and every month after which the Content, or an element of the Content, has been reproduced in aggregate over the term of this Agreement in excess of 500,000 times. Each such notice must contain the number of reproductions made in any particular month, provided however the first such notice will only require disclosure of those reproductions which are in excess of 500,000. VIVIstock shall bill you for the fees relating to such excess use and you shall agree to pay the amount reflected therein 30 days upon receipt.
6. Agreement’s Term of Effectivity
(a) This Agreement is effective until termination. You can terminate this Agreement by destroying the Content and any Permitted Derivative Works, along with any copies or archives of it or accompanying materials (if applicable), and ceasing to use the Content for any purpose. The Agreement also terminates without notice from VIVIstock if at any time you fail to comply with any of its terms. Upon termination, you must immediately (i) cease using the Content and for any purpose; (ii) destroy or delete all copies and archives of the Content or accompanying materials; and (iii) if requested, confirm to VIVIstock in writing that you have complied with these requirements.
(b) VIVIstock reserves the right to choose at a later date to revoke or amend the license granted by this Agreement and replace the Content with a substitute for any reason. Upon notice, sent to the address or contact information provided by you for your member account, or such other address as you may advise us in writing to use, now and then, of such replacement, the license for the replaced Content immediately terminates for any products that do not already exist, and this license automatically applies to the replacement Content. You agree not to use the replaced Content, or any Permitted Derivative Works, for future products and to take all reasonable steps to discontinue use of the replaced Content, or any Permitted Derivative Works, in products that already exist.
(c) Upon notice from VIVIstock, or upon your knowledge that any Content is subject to a threatened, potential or actual claim of infringement of another's right for which VIVIstock may be liable, you must immediately and at your own expense (i) cease from using the Content; (ii) delete or remove the Content from your premises, computer systems and storage (electronic or physical); and (iii) ensure that your clients, printers or ISPs do the same. VIVIstock shall provide you with replacement Content (which shall be determined by VIVIstock in its reasonable commercial judgment) free of charge, but subject to the other terms and conditions of this Agreement.
7. VIVIstock Representations and Warranties
(a) VIVIstock warrants that, except in respect of Content identified as “Editorial Use Only”,: (i) your use of the Content in accordance with this Agreement and in the form delivered by VIVIstock will not in any way infringe on any copyright, moral right, trademark or other intellectual property right and will not violate any right of privacy or right of publicity of any person, subject, or entity; and (ii) all necessary model and/or property releases for use of the Content in the manner authorized under this Agreement have been obtained. You acknowledge that no releases are generally obtained for Content that is identified as “Editorial Use Only” and that some jurisdictions provide legal protection against a person's image, likeness or property being used for commercial purposes when they have not provided a release. For Content identified as “Editorial Use Only”, VIVIstock does not grant any right nor make any warranty with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, logos, registered designs or works of art or architecture depicted therein. In such cases, you shall be solely responsible for determining whether release(s) is/are required in connection with any proposed use of the Content identified as “Editorial Use Only”, and shall be responsible for obtaining such release(s).
(b) While we have made reasonable efforts to correctly categorize, keyword, caption and title the Content, VIVIstock does not warrant the accuracy of such information. Furthermore, VIVIstock does not warrant the accuracy of any metadata that may be provided with the Content.
(c) OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN SECTION 7(a), THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. VIVISTOCK DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE CONTENT WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT ITS USE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR GLITCH-FREE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE CONTENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE CONTENT PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU (AND NOT VIVISTOCK) ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK AND COST OF ALL NECESSARY CORRECTIONS.
IN PARTICULAR AND WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, IF YOU ARE DOWNLOADING CONTENT THAT IS IN A FLASH FORMAT OR FILE (WHETHER .SWF OR OTHERWISE), EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN SECTION 7(a),VIVISTOCK MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY RESPECTING SUCH CONTENT WHATSOEVER, WHETHER AS TO OWNERSHIP, TECHNICAL OR LEGAL COMPLIANCE, OR OTHERWISE.
(d) Certain jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. You have specific rights under this warranty, but you may have others, which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
8. VIVIstock Indemnification and Limitation of Liability
(a) Provided that the Content is only used in accordance with and not in breach of this Agreement and as your sole and exclusive remedy for breach of the representations and warranties set forth in Section 7 (a) above, VIVIstock shall, subject to the terms of Sections 8(b),(c),(d) and (e) defend, indemnify and hold harmless you, your parent, subsidiaries and affiliates and respective directors, officers and employees from all damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable outside legal fees), arising out of or connected with any actual or threatened lawsuit, claim or legal proceeding alleging that the possession, distribution or use of the Content by you is in breach of the representations and warranties set forth in Section 7(a) above. The foregoing states VIVIstock’s entire indemnification obligation under this Agreement.
(b) The indemnification set out in Section 8(a) above is conditioned on your prompt notification in writing of VIVIstock of such claim and our right to assume the handling, settlement or defence of any claim or litigation. You agree to cooperate with VIVIstock in the defence of any such claim or litigation and shall have the right to participate in such litigation at your sole expense. VIVIstock shall not be liable for legal fees and any other costs incurred prior to the notice of the claim.
(c) IN NO EVENT SHALL VIVISTOCK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES OR CONTENT PROVIDERS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, PARTNERS OR AGENTS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIM, LOSS, DAMAGE, ACTION, SUIT OR OTHER PROCEEDING ARISING UNDER OR OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR USE OF, RELIANCE UPON, ACCESS TO, OR EXPLOITATION OF THE CONTENT, OR ANY PART THEREOF, OR ANY RIGHTS GRANTED TO YOU HEREUNDER, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, WHETHER THE ACTION IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OR OTHERWISE. NO ACTION, REGARDLESS OF FORM OR NATURE, ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT MAY BE BROUGHT BY OR ON BEHALF OF YOU MORE THAN TWO (2) YEARS AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION FIRST AROSE.
(d) NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER TERM HEREIN, VIVISTOCK SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, COSTS OR LOSSES ARISING AS A RESULT OF MODIFCATIONS MADE TO THE CONTENT BY YOU OR THE CONTEXT IN WHICH THE CONTENT IS USED BY YOU.
(e) NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS AGREEMENT, THE TOTAL MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF VIVISTOCK UNDER THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY OTHER AGREEMENT UNDER WHICH YOU HAVE LICENSED THE SAME CONTENT, REGARDLESS OF THE FILE SIZE, OR THE USE OR EXPLOITATION OF ANY OR ALL OF THE CONTENT IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER AND THE OBLIGATION OF VIVISTOCK UNDER SECTION 8(a) SHALL BE LIMITED TO AN AGGREGATE OF TEN THOUSAND ($10,000) US DOLLARS. FOR GREATER CLARITY, VIVISTOCK’S LIABILITY TO YOU IN RESPECT OF THE CONTENT SHALL NOT EXCEED TEN THOUSAND ($10,000) US DOLLARS REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF TIMES THAT YOU LICENSE THE SAME CONTENT FROM VIVISTOCK.
(f) SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Your Indemnification
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold VIVIstock, its affiliates, its Content providers and their respective directors, officers, employees, shareholders, partners and agents (collectively, the “VIVIstock Parties”) harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal fees on a solicitor and client basis) incurred by any VIVIstock Party as a result of or in connection with any breach or alleged breach by you or anyone acting on your behalf of any of the terms of this Agreement.
10. General Provisions
(b) VIVIstock’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of this Agreement shall not be interpreted as a waiver of any provision or right.
(c) This Agreement is personal to you and is not assignable by you without VIVIstock’s prior written consent. VIVIstock may assign this Agreement without your consent to any other party so long as such party agrees to be bound by its terms.
(d) If all or part of any provision of this Agreement is wholly or partially unenforceable, the parties or, in the event the parties are unable to agree, a court of competent jurisdiction, shall put in place of such whole or part provision an enforceable provision or provisions, that as nearly as possible reflects the terms of the unenforceable whole or part provision.
(e) You agree to pay and be responsible for any and all sales taxes, use taxes, value added taxes and duties imposed by any jurisdiction as a result of the license granted to you, or of your use of the Content, pursuant to this Agreement.
(f) This Agreement will be governed under the laws of the state of Singapore (without reference to conflicts of laws principles). This Agreement will not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the application of which is expressly excluded. You consent to service of any required notice or process upon you by registered mail or overnight courier with proof of delivery notice, addressed to the address or contact information provided by you at the time the Content was downloaded, or such other address as you may advise us in writing to use, from time to time.
(g) Any and all disputes arising out of, under or in relation to this Agreement, including without limitation, its validity, interpretation, performance and breach, shall be finally settled under the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce by a single Arbitrator appointed in accordance with such rules. The arbitration shall take place in Singapore and shall be conducted in the English language.
(h) The parties have requested that this Agreement and all related documents be drawn up in English.
If you have concerns with regard to this Agreement, please contact VIVIstock at [email protected] or via phone at +65-6235-9275.
12. Statement of Acknowledgement
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTOOD IT, AND HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL COUNSEL PRIOR TO AGREEING TO IT. IN CONSIDERATION OF VIVISTOCK AGREEING TO PROVIDE THE CONTENT, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT IT IS THE COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND VIVISTOCK, WHICH SUPERSEDES ANY PROPOSAL, DEAL, OR PRIOR AGREEMENT, ORAL OR WRITTEN, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATION BETWEEN YOU AND VIVISTOCK RELATING TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS AGREEMENT.
© VIVIstock LP 2014. All rights reserved.